HiJackThis Fork is a free utility for Microsoft Windows that scans your computer for settings changed by adware, spyware, malware and other unwanted programs.
HiJackThis Fork primarily detects hijacking methods rather than comparing items against a pre-built database. This allows it to detect new or previously unknown malware – but it also makes no distinction between safe and unsafe items. Users are expected to research all scanned items, and only remove items from their PC when absolutely appropriate.
Therefore, FALSE POSITIVES ARE LIKELY. If you are ever unsure, you should consult with a knowledgeable expert BEFORE deleting anything.
- Lists non-default settings in the registry, hard drive and memory related to autostart
- Generates organized, easily readable reports
- Does not use a database of specific malware, adware, etc
- Detects potential methods used by hijackers
- Can be configured to automatically scan at system boot up
- Short logs
- Fast scans
- No need to manually create fixing scripts
- No need for Internet access or recurring database updates
- Already familiar to many people
New in version 3
- Detects several new hijacking methods
- Fully supports new Windows versions
- New and updated supplementary tools
- Improved interface, security and backups
HiJackThis also comes with several useful tools for manually removing malware from a computer:
- StartupList 2 (*new*)
- Process Manager
- Uninstall manager
- Hosts file manager
- Alternative Data Spy
- Delete file / service staff
- Digital Signature Checker (*new*)
- Registry key unlocker (*new*)
- Check Browsers’ LNK & ClearLNK (as downloadable component) (*new*)
IMPORTANT: HiJackThis Fork does not make value-based calls on what is considered good or bad. You must exercise caution when using this tool. Avoid making changes to your computer settings without thoroughly studying the consequences of each change.
If you are not already an expert, we recommend submitting your case to an online help forum. Here are some suggestions:
- English: Our GitHub ; GeeksToGo ; BleepingComputer
- Russian: SafeZone ; CyberForum ; OSZone ; SoftBoard ; THG ; VirusInfo ; KasperskyClub ; Dr.Web
Note: currently, only Russian-speaking anti-malware supporting team (e.g., VIRUSNET association) can provide direct analysis of HiJackThis logs in our github ‘Issues’ section. Please feel free to ask help there.
- Actual short User’s manual (in English)
- Actual complete User’s manual (in Russian)
- Recent updates by the author (in Russian)
- Additional instructions on Wiki-pages
- Discussion and news are in this topic (in Russian) or on GeeksToGo (in English; access restricted to experts only) or on our GitHub page (for everybody).
- You can also freely ask questions, report bugs, or propose improvements by creating an issue on GitHub
- Microsoft™ Windows™ 10 / 8.1 / 8 / 7 / Vista / XP / 2000 (32/64-bit desktop and server)