AirCrack-NG is a complete suite of tools to assess WiFi network security. It focuses on different areas of WiFi security:
- Monitoring: Packet capture and export of data to text files for further processing by third party tools.
- Attacking: Replay attacks, deauthentication, fake access points and others via packet injection.
- Testing: Checking WiFi cards and driver capabilities (capture and injection).
- Cracking: WEP and WPA PSK (WPA 1 and 2).
All tools are command line which allows for heavy scripting. A lot of GUIs have taken advantage of this feature. It works primarily Linux but also Windows, OS X, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, as well as Solaris and even eComStation 2.
- OpenSSL development package or libgcrypt development package.
- Airmon-ng (Linux) requires ethtool.
- On windows, cygwin has to be used and it also requires w32api package.
- On Windows, if using clang, libiconv and libiconv-devel
- Linux: LibNetlink 1 or 3. It can be disabled by passing –disable-libnl to configure.
- pkg-config (pkgconf on FreeBSD)
- FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, Solaris and OS X with macports: gmake
- Linux/Cygwin: make and Standard C++ Library development package (Debian: libstdc++-dev)
- If you want SSID filtering with regular expression in airodump-ng (-essid-regex) pcre development package is required.
- If you want to use airolib-ng and ‘-r’ option in aircrack-ng, SQLite development package >= 3.3.17 (3.6.X version or better is recommended)
- If you want to use Airpcap, the ‘developer’ directory from the CD/ISO/SDK is required.
- In order to build
wesside-ng, libpcap development package is required (on Cygwin, use the Aircap SDK instead; see above)
- For best performance on FreeBSD (50-70% more), install gcc5 (or better) via: pkg install gcc9
- If you want Airodump-ng to log GPS coordinates, gpsd is needed
- For best performance on SMP machines, ensure the hwloc library and headers are installed. It is strongly recommended on high core count systems, it may give a serious speed boost
- CMocka for unit testing
- For intergation testing on Linux only: tcpdump, HostAPd, WPA Supplicant and screen
Installing Required & Optional Dependencies
Below are instructions for installing the basic requirements to build
aircrack-ng for a number of operating systems.
Note: CMocka, tcpdump, screen, HostAPd and WPA Supplicant should not be dependencies when packaging Aircrack-ng.
sudo apt-get install build-essential autoconf automake libtool pkg-config libnl-3-dev libnl-genl-3-dev libssl-dev ethtool shtool rfkill zlib1g-dev libpcap-dev libsqlite3-dev libpcre3-dev libhwloc-dev libcmocka-dev hostapd wpasupplicant tcpdump screen iw usbutils
sudo yum install libtool pkgconfig sqlite-devel autoconf automake openssl-devel libpcap-devel pcre-devel rfkill libnl3-devel gcc gcc-c++ ethtool hwloc-devel libcmocka-devel git make file expect hostapd wpa_supplicant iw usbutils tcpdump screen
Note: on CentOS and RedHat, HostAPd requires ‘epel’ repository to be enabled: sudo yum install epel-release
sudo zypper install autoconf automake libtool pkg-config libnl3-devel libopenssl-1_1-devel zlib-devel libpcap-devel sqlite3-devel pcre-devel hwloc-devel libcmocka-devel hostapd wpa_supplicant tcpdump screen iw gcc-c++ gcc
sudo urpmi autoconf automake libtool pkgconfig libnl3-devel libopenssl-devel zlib-devel libpcap-devel sqlite3-devel pcre-devel hwloc-devel libcmocka-devel hostapd wpa_supplicant tcpdump screen iw gcc-c++ gcc make
sudo apk add gcc g++ make autoconf automake libtool libnl3-dev openssl-dev ethtool libpcap-dev cmocka-dev hostapd wpa_supplicant tcpdump screen iw pkgconf util-linux sqlite-dev pcre-dev linux-headers zlib-dev
pkg install pkgconf shtool libtool gcc9 automake autoconf pcre sqlite3 openssl gmake hwloc cmocka
pkg install pkgconf shtool libtool gcc8 automake autoconf pcre sqlite3 libgcrypt gmake cmocka
pkg_add pkgconf shtool libtool gcc automake autoconf pcre sqlite3 openssl gmake cmocka
XCode, Xcode command line tools and HomeBrew are required.
brew install autoconf automake libtool openssl shtool pkg-config hwloc pcre sqlite3 libpcap cmocka
Cygwin requires the full path to the
setup.exe utility, in order to
automate the installation of the necessary packages. In addition, it
requires the location of your installation, a path to the cached
packages download location, and a mirror URL.
An example of automatically installing all the dependencies is as follows:
c:\cygwin\setup-x86.exe -qnNdO -R C:/cygwin -s http://cygwin.mirror.constant.com -l C:/cygwin/var/cache/setup -P autoconf -P automake -P bison -P gcc-core -P gcc-g++ -P mingw-runtime -P mingw-binutils -P mingw-gcc-core -P mingw-gcc-g++ -P mingw-pthreads -P mingw-w32api -P libtool -P make -P python -P gettext-devel -P gettext -P intltool -P libiconv -P pkg-config -P git -P wget -P curl -P libpcre-devel -P libssl-devel -P libsqlite3-devel
pacman -Sy autoconf automake-wrapper libtool msys2-w32api-headers msys2-w32api-runtime gcc pkg-config git python openssl-devel openssl libopenssl msys2-runtime-devel gcc binutils make pcre-devel libsqlite-devel
aircrack-ng, the Autotools build system is utilized. Autotools replaces
the older method of compilation.
NOTE: If utilizing a developer version, eg: one checked out from source control,
you will need to run a pre-
configure script. The script to use is one of the
autoreconf -i or
env NOCONFIGURE=1 ./autogen.sh.
./configure the project for building with the appropriate options specified
for your environment:
TIP: If the above fails, please see above about developer source control versions.
Next, compile the project (respecting if
gmake is needed):
Compilation on *BSD or Solaris:
Finally, the additional targets listed below may be of use in your environment:
Execute all unit testing:
Execute all integration testing (requires root):
When configuring, the following flags can be used and combined to adjust the suite to your choosing:
with-airpcap=DIR: needed for supporting airpcap devices on windows (cygwin or msys2 only)
Replace DIR above with the absolute location to the root of the
extracted source code from the Airpcap CD or downloaded SDK available
online. Required on Windows to build
wesside-ngwhen building experimental tools. The developer pack (Compatible with version 4.1.1 and 4.1.3) can be downloaded at https://support.riverbed.com/content/support/software/steelcentral-npm/airpcap.html
with-experimental: needed to compile
wesside-ng. libpcap development package is also required to compile most of the tools. If not present, not all experimental tools will be built. On Cygwin, libpcap is not present and the Airpcap SDK replaces it. See –with-airpcap option above.
with-ext-scripts: needed to build
airdrop-ng. Note: Each script has its own dependencies.
- with-gcrypt: Use libgcrypt crypto library instead of the default OpenSSL. And also use internal fast sha1 implementation (borrowed from GIT) Dependency (Debian): libgcrypt20-dev
- with-duma: Compile with DUMA support. DUMA is a library to detect buffer overruns and under-runs. Dependencies (debian): duma
- disable-libnl: Set-up the project to be compiled without libnl (1 or 3). Linux option only.
- without-opt: Do not enable stack protector (on GCC 4.9 and above).
- enable-shared: Make OSdep a shared library.
- disable-shared: When combined with enable-static, it will statically compile Aircrack-ng.
- with-avx512: On x86, add support for AVX512 instructions in aircrack-ng. Only use it when the current CPU supports AVX512.
- with-static-simd=: Compile a single optimization in aircrack-ng binary. Useful when compiling statically and/or for space-constrained devices. Valid SIMD options: x86-sse2, x86-avx, x86-avx2, x86-avx512, ppc-altivec, ppc-power8, arm-neon, arm-asimd. Must be used with –enable-static –disable-shared. When using those 2 options, the default is to compile the generic optimization in the binary. –with-static-simd merely allows to choose another one.
- Configure and compiling:
./configure --with-experimental make
- Compiling with gcrypt:
./configure --with-gcrypt make
- Installing (strip binaries):
- Installing, with external scripts:
./configure --with-experimental --with-ext-scripts make make install
- Testing (with sqlite, experimental and pcre)
./configure --with-experimental make make check
- Compiling on OS X with macports (and all options):
./configure --with-experimental gmake
- Compiling on OS X 10.10 with XCode 7.1 and Homebrew:
env CC=gcc-4.9 CXX=g++-4.9 ./configure make make checkNOTE: Older XCode ships with a version of LLVM that does not support CPU feature detection; which causes the
./configureto fail. To work around this older LLVM, it is required that a different compile suite is used, such as GCC or a newer LLVM from Homebrew. If you wish to use OpenSSL from Homebrew, you may need to specify the location to its’ installation. To figure out where OpenSSL lives, run:
brew --prefix opensslUse the output above as the DIR for
env CC=gcc-4.9 CXX=g++-4.9 ./configure --with-openssl=DIR make make check
- Compiling on FreeBSD with gcc9
env CC=gcc9 CXX=g++9 MAKE=gmake ./configure gmake
- Compiling on Cygwin with Airpcap (assuming Airpcap devpack is unpacked in Aircrack-ng directory)
cp -vfp Airpcap_Devpack/bin/x86/airpcap.dll src cp -vfp Airpcap_Devpack/bin/x86/airpcap.dll src/aircrack-osdep cp -vfp Airpcap_Devpack/bin/x86/airpcap.dll src/aircrack-crypto cp -vfp Airpcap_Devpack/bin/x86/airpcap.dll src/aircrack-util dlltool -D Airpcap_Devpack/bin/x86/airpcap.dll -d build/airpcap.dll.def -l Airpcap_Devpack/bin/x86/libairpcap.dll.a autoreconf -i ./configure --with-experimental --with-airpcap=$(pwd) make
- Compiling on DragonflyBSD with gcrypt using GCC 8
autoreconf -i env CC=gcc8 CXX=g++8 MAKE=gmake ./configure --with-experimental --with-gcrypt gmake
- Compiling on OpenBSD (with autoconf 2.69 and automake 1.16)
export AUTOCONF_VERSION=2.69 export AUTOMAKE_VERSION=1.16 autoreconf -i env MAKE=gmake ./configure gmake
- Compiling and debugging aircrack-ng
export CFLAGS='-O0 -g' export CXXFLAGS='-O0 -g' ./configure make LD_LIBRARY_PATH=.libs gdb --args ./aircrack-ng [PARAMETERS]
Automatic detection of CPU optimization is done at run time. This behavior is desirable when packaging Aircrack-ng (for a Linux or other distribution.)
Also, in some cases it may be desired to provide your own flags completely and
not having the suite auto-detect a number of optimizations. To do this, add
the additional flag
--without-opt to the
Using Precompiled Binaries
- Use your package manager to download aircrack-ng
- In most cases, they have an old version.
- Install the appropriate “monitor” driver for your card (standard drivers doesn’t work for capturing data).
- aircrack-ng suite is command line tools. So, you have to open a commandline
Start menu -> Run... -> cmd.exethen use them
- Run the executables without any parameters to have help