Debotnet is a free and portable tool for controlling Windows 10’s many privacy-related settings and keep your personal data private.
Your preparation for the Net!
The Windows 10 default privacy settings leave a lot to be desired when it comes to protecting you and your private information. Whenever I set up a new computer or update a current setup for my family or job, I always carefully go through the privacy settings for each install, making sure to lock it down to make it as private as possible.
Windows 10 has raised several concerns about privacy due to the fact that it has a lot of telemetry and online features, which send your data (sensitive and not) to Microsoft and can’t be disabled, which means Microsoft can:
- Run software on your computer without your consent
- Get data from your computer without your consent
- Remove software and files from your computer without your consent
This qualifies Windows 10 as malware, and more specifically, a botnet.
Debotnet requires Windows 10 including both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
Info! The development of Debotnet was discontinued.
If you are interested in continuing to maintain the project, you can do so. I have released the Source Code of Debotnet. The project was compiled with Visual Basic 6. It will not be everybody’s cup of tea and it’s not mine too, but I had fun with it anyway and it worked well. You can read the whole background story here.
You will find great replacement tools for Debotnet with SharpApp or Spydish which is even better for the non-experienced user.
- Disable telemetry and online features, which send your data (sensitive and not) to Microsoft
- Choose which unwanted functions you wish to disable
- Debotnet will show you what it’s doing. You have full control, because the executing code is not hard coded and can be viewed in a simple text editor
- Simple scripting engine for adding custom privacy rules
- Debug mode. E.g. the Test mode lets you see which values are twisted in registry or commands executed
- Scripts updated on GitHub
- Support for Ninite service, which allows you to download and install more than 70 popular apps for Windows
- Support for Chocolatey Software, which has a massive community package repository of installs (more than 4,000 packages)
- Download Windows 10 ISO files using Microsoft Media Creation Tool with command line switches, also through MCT Wrapper or just a PowerShell script
- Integration of custom PowerShell debloating scrips, e.g W4RH4WK / Debloat-Windows-10, Sycnex / Windows10Debloater
- Download deprecated Windows apps, e.g. Classic Calculator
- Modern and familiar UI, with theme support
- Small footprint. No installation required (Portable)
As above mentioned Debotnet’s main tools (in this case the scripts for debotnetting Windows) are not hard coded. Debotnet is based upon simple .DS1 files which define exactly which registry keys, files and or/services should be disabled, blocked, deleted etc. and preserved by the program. These script files allows you to execute command-line tools and parameter and also simple PowerShell code.
[Info] ID=No more forced updates Ver=1.0 Desc=This will notify when updates are available, and you decide when to install them.\n\nThe values added to registry with this script will prevent forced updates. Dev=Federico Dossena DevURL=https://github.com/adolfintel/Windows10-Privacy WinVer=Compatible with Windows 10 Evaluation=Recommended EvaluationColor=009e5e [Code] Task1=Try,query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v NoAutoUpdate,STDOUT Task2=Try,query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v AUOptions,STDOUT Task3=Try,query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v ScheduledInstallDay,STDOUT Task4=Try,query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v ScheduledInstallTime,STDOUT File5=Reg,add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v NoAutoUpdate /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f,STDOUT File6=Reg,add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v AUOptions /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f,STDOUT File7=Reg,add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v ScheduledInstallDay /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f,STDOUT File8=Reg,add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU" /v ScheduledInstallTime /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f,STDOUT
- (Latest stable on Dev site) https://www.mirinsoft.com/debotnet
- (Latest stable on GitHub) https://github.com/mirinsoft/debotnet/releases
- (Chocolatey release) https://chocolatey.org/packages/debotnet
- (Nightly builds) https://www.mirinsoft.com/debotnet-nightly