OFRAK (Open Firmware Reverse Analysis Konsole) is a binary analysis and modification platform. OFRAK combines the ability to:
- Identify and Unpack many binary formats
- Analyze unpacked binaries with field-tested reverse engineering tools
- Modify and Repack binaries with powerful patching strategies
OFRAK supports a range of embedded firmware file formats beyond userspace executables, including:
- Compressed filesystems
- Compressed & checksummed firmware
- RTOS/OS kernels
OFRAK equips users with:
- A Graphical User Interface (GUI) for interactive exploration and visualization of binaries
- A Python API for readable and reproducible scripts that can be applied to entire classes of binaries, rather than just one specific binary
- Recursive identification, unpacking, and repacking of many file formats, from ELF executables, to filesystem archives, to compressed and checksummed firmware formats
- Built-in, extensible integration with powerful analysis backends (angr, Binary Ninja, Ghidra, IDA Pro)
- Extensibility by design via a common interface to easily write additional OFRAK components and add support for a new file format or binary patching operation
See ofrak.com for more details.
The web-based GUI view provides a navigable resource tree. For the selected resource, it also provides: metadata, hex or text navigation, and a mini map sidebar for quickly navigating by entropy, byteclass, or magnitude. The GUI also allows for actions normally available through the Python API like commenting, unpacking, analyzing, modifying and packing resources.
OFRAK uses Git LFS. This means that you must have Git LFS installed before you clone the repository! Install Git LFS by following the instructions here. If you accidentally cloned the repository before installing Git LFS,
cd into the repository and run
git lfs pull.
docs/environment-setup for detailed instructions on how to install OFRAK.
OFRAK has general documentation and API documentation. Both can be viewed at ofrak.com/docs.
If you wish to make changes to the documentation or serve it yourself, follow the directions in