Aircrack-ng is a complete suite of tools to assess WiFi network security. It focuses on different areas of WiFi security:
- Monitoring: Packet capture and export of data to text files for further processing by third party tools.
- Attacking: Replay attacks, DE-authentication, fake access points and others via packet injection.
- Testing: Checking WiFi cards and driver capabilities (capture and injection).
- Cracking: WEP and WPA PSK (WPA 1 and 2).
All tools are command line which allows for heavy scripting. A lot of GUIs have taken advantage of this feature. It works primarily Linux but also Windows, OS X, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, as well as Solaris and even eComStation 2.
- OpenSSL development package or libgcrypt development package.
- Airmon-ng (Linux) requires ethtool.
- On windows, cygwin has to be used and it also requires w32api package.
- On Windows, if using clang, libiconv and libiconv-devel
- Linux: LibNetlink 1 or 3. It can be disabled by passing –disable-libnl to configure.
- pkg-config (pkgconf on FreeBSD)
- FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, Solaris and OS X with macports: gmake
- Linux/Cygwin: make and Standard C++ Library development package (Debian: libstdc++-dev)
- If you want SSID filtering with regular expression in airodump-ng (-essid-regex) pcre development package is required.
- If you want to use airolib-ng and ‘-r’ option in aircrack-ng, SQLite development package >= 3.3.17 (3.6.X version or better is recommended)
- If you want to use Airpcap, the ‘developer’ directory from the CD/ISO/SDK is required.
- In order to build
wesside-ng, libpcap development package is required (on Cygwin, use the Aircap SDK instead; see above)
- For best performance on FreeBSD (50-70% more), install gcc5 (or better) via: pkg install gcc7
Resolving the basic requirements
Below are instructions for installing the basic requirements to build
aircrack-ng for a number of operating systems.
sudo apt-get install build-essential autoconf automake libtool pkg-config libnl-3-dev libnl-genl-3-dev libssl-dev libsqlite3-dev libpcre3-dev ethtool shtool rfkill zlib1g-dev libpcap-dev
sudo yum install libtool pkgconfig sqlite-devel autoconf automake openssl-devel libpcap-devel pcre-devel rfkill libnl3-devel gcc gcc-c++ ethtool
pkg install pkgconf shtool libtool gcc7 automake autoconf pcre sqlite3 openssl gmake
XCode, Xcode command line tools and HomeBrew are required.
brew install autoconf automake libtool openssl shtool pkg-config
Cygwin requires the full path to the
setup.exe utility, in order to automate the installation of the necessary packages. In addition, it requires the location of your installation, a path to the cached packages download location, and a mirror URL.
An example of automatically installing all the dependencies is as follows:
c:\cygwin\setup-x86.exe -qnNdO -R C:/cygwin -s http://cygwin.mirror.constant.com -l C:/cygwin/var/cache/setup -P autoconf -P automake -P bison -P gcc-core -P gcc-g++ -P mingw-runtime -P mingw-binutils -P mingw-gcc-core -P mingw-gcc-g++ -P mingw-pthreads -P mingw-w32api -P libtool -P make -P python -P gettext-devel -P gettext -P intltool -P libiconv -P pkg-config -P git -P wget -P curl -P libpcre-devel -P openssl-devel -P libsqlite3-devel
pacman -Sy autoconf automake-wrapper libtool msys2-w32api-headers msys2-w32api-runtime gcc pkg-config git python openss
aircrack-ng, the Autotools build system is utilized. Autotools replaces the older method of compilation.
NOTE: If utilizing a developer version, eg: one checked out from source control, you will need to run a pre-
configure script. The script to use is one of the following:
autoreconf -i or
env NOCONFIGURE=1 ./autogen.sh.
./configure the project for building with the appropriate options specified for your environment:
TIP: If the above fails, please see above about developer source control versions.
Next, compile the project (respecting if
gmake is needed):
Compilation on *BSD or Solaris:
Finally, the additional targets listed below may be of use in your environment:
- Execute all unit testing:
When configuring, the following flags can be used and combined to adjust the suite to your choosing:
- with-airpcap=DIR: needed for supporting airpcap devices on windows (cygwin or msys2 only) Replace DIR above with the absolute location to the root of the extracted source code from the Airpcap CD or downloaded SDK available online. Required on Windows to build
wesside-ngwhen building experimental tools. The developer pack (Compatible with version 4.1.1 and 4.1.3) can be downloaded here.
- with-experimental: needed to compile
wesside-ng. libpcap development package is also required to compile most of the tools. If not present, not all experimental tools will be built. On Cygwin, libpcap is not present and the Airpcap SDK replaces it. See –with-airpcap option above.
- with-ext-scripts: needed to build
airdrop-ng. Note: Each script has its own dependencies.
- with-gcrypt: Use libgcrypt crypto library instead of the default OpenSSL. And also use internal fast sha1 implementation (borrowed from GIT) Dependency (Debian): libgcrypt20-dev
- with-duma: Compile with DUMA support. DUMA is a library to detect buffer overruns and under-runs. Dependencies (debian): duma
- disable-libnl: Set-up the project to be compiled without libnl (1 or 3). Linux option only.
- without-opt: Do not enable stack protector (on GCC 4.9 and above).
- enable-shared: Make OSdep a shared library.
- disable-shared: When combined with enable-static, it will statically compile Aircrack-ng.
- with-avx512: On x86, add support for AVX512 instructions in aircrack-ng. Only use it when the current CPU supports AVX512.