AVG is always in the top 5 of the 2019 antivirus rankings. Many people use it because it is available for free. Despite the developers constantly offering to buy the paid version, the free solution is still good and offers comparable protection.
We are going to tell you about some key points of the product. Do you need more details? Read the detailed AVG antivirus review.
What Is AVG?
AVG is a reliable and fast antivirus solution for Windows computers. It provides basic protection for your computer and your online activity against the latest threats. The product regularly receives high scores among the world’s leading antivirus applications and offers some of the best security features for free.
What Are the System Requirements?
The system requirements of AVG are quite simple. Your computer should have at least:
- Pentium 4 processor (since it was released in 2000, most modern computers have much more powerful processor units);
- 1 GB of RAM;
- 2GB of hard disk space.
Since 2019, developers no longer support Windows XP and Vista. Antivirus works well and is only updated on Windows 7, 8, and 10.
The First Impression
You can download the antivirus on the official website. Also, you will find the link in the review by AntivirusReview. Download the exe file, run it and wait for the installation to complete. Our installation took about 5 minutes.
The antivirus uses few system resources. It will not reduce the performance of most modern computers.
The program will offer the first system scan. Run the first check. The application will noticeably impact the processor load.
After the antivirus scan the browser, it will start a full scan of your computer’s hard drive — system and user files, as well as performance errors. It took us about 10-15 minutes to complete scanning — this is fast. Besides viruses and malware, the application can detect junk and temporary files.
However, to delete the junk files, you have to buy a paid extension. For some users, this feature is a bit persistent — they prefer to buy a subscription once they see fit.
What Does AVG Offer to Protect Your Computer?
The free version of AVG provides two levels of protection:
- PC Protection. The real-time protection will defend your computer from viruses, spyware, ransomware, rootkits, trojans, and other troubles. Real-time analysis and improved artificial intelligence will prevent even the latest threats.
- Web and email protection. Blocks all unsafe links, downloads, or email attachments – you will use the Internet without safety risk.
Web Protection Modules
In its turn, the web protection includes several modules:
- Link Protection for real-time security from various online threats;
- Resident Shield which helps the program to block malicious software;
- E-mail scanner to protect your email correspondence;
- PC Analyzer to scan and optimize the devices on your computer, as well as solve problems;
- Identity Protection will set the computer administrator’s protection — in that case, other users are unable to change the operating system settings, programs, etc.
These are all the basic features for an ordinary PC user, they are available for free. In addition, you can upgrade your product to AVG Internet Security and get better tools for Internet security.
They include spam filtering, webcam burglary protection, the ability to shop online more securely, and more. Additional paid extensions include password protection, built-in VPN, driver updates, and others.
Pros and Cons of AVG Antivirus
What do we think is good about the app?
- You can use the product for free — it will provide the full-fledged antivirus protection for your computer.
- The system requirements are not very demanding — it will not slow down even on old PCs.
- A quick check of the whole computer (it took us no more than 15 minutes);
- There is nothing complicated in the interface — it is possible to run the scan in a click.
What do we think is bad with AVG?
- Obsessive advertising of paid extensions.
What Do Other People Say?
Some people couldn’t install an antivirus on a computer that has already had viruses on it. The installation was blocked. They had to use antivirus scanners to clean the system first.
Someone didn’t have the “block the site” feature. One user complained that the antivirus removes files without quarantine, even with the correct settings.
AVG is a good antivirus which is available for free. It uses reliable antivirus or as well as offers some additional modules to protect your computer against malicious online activity.
If you lack the basic features, get the paid subscription — it is quite affordable and provides alternate level protection.